Lordy, it’s almost like I forgot all about this site. But, actually, I’ve been having some work done. Not the cosmetic surgery Stigger’s sometimes suggests; house surgery. And all my toys had to be put away. All of them. Man, I’ve been living like an OCD hoarder on a Channel 4 documentary. And, even now, the toys are still pretty buried. Fortunately, I took some snaps of me Tigers in the summer. So….
Truth is though, these divas were a long time sitting around waiting for their close-up and when I stumbled over the images and decided to post them up, I couldn’t recall much about the build of these ladies at all.
Fortunately, in a somewhat anally retentive style, I keep all the instructions for the kits I build. Indeed, the house surgery involved a new roof and whilst up in the loft moving the stacks of stuff that should never have been put up there in the first place I found my original, teen and pre-teen, collection of Airfix, Matchbox, Tamiya et al instruction sheets in a big old Matchbox 1:32 Peterbuilt box.
So that put paid to moving stuff for a damn long time as I delved in and reminisced. Shoot! How many hours in close proximity to evil glue and enamel fumes did I spend as a growing yoof? More to the point, why am I still doing that now? Moving on….
Building the Kit
It’s a weighty old thing, the PSC Tiger sprue – still had a couple kicking around in a box of old sprues. Who’s that on the phone? Channel 4? A documentary about OCD hoarders, you say? There’s no shortage of plastic there but not too much in the way of complicated assembly. Not much in the way of crew stowage, either. None, actually, but check out the spare tracks! You can really go to Track Town with the five spare bits you get.
1. Separate turret smoke dischargers with knife
And, helpfully, the instructions not only state the tool to employ but illustrate it too. In case you… er… dunno… try and bite them off? Not sure what happened to the indefinite article there, mind. Anyhoo, it’s wise to go cautiously because there’s quite a solid piece of plastic between the two dischargers and getting your bite point right can save a bit of sandpaper action.
2. Turret sub-assembly
I drilled out the big 88s’ barrels with the usual accuracy. Ho, hum.
I also didn’t batten down the hatches at this point but left them off to the very end as I couldn’t decide if I could be arsed to paint the crew figures. Me? I hate painting figures.
3. Side sub-assembly
I think this has been done to death now but, two-piece tracks? Well, I kinda lament the move to one-piece, if I’m honest. But, like Brexit, it’s a done deal, really. Sure, I cock ’em up with the best of them but mostly they end up looking alright.
Certainly, they’re a source of stowage when the big fraulein wears skirts. This, sans schurtzen time, the kit itself supplied plenty of spare tracks to slap on the flanks but going with the later, steel, road wheel option meant several sets of spare wheel assemblies that looked the spit of a Panther’s. Ho, ho! I hatched a cunning plan for me other cats….
Steel wheels also means no rubber tyres to paint!! Hates paintin’ road wheels, I does. Hates it.
4. Hull assembly
Still no decision on the crew so hatches remained absent.
5. General Assembly
That’s PSC’s capitalisation, by the way. Whatever, complexity-wise, see #4 .
I did take the time to chop away some of the links from one of the front-mounted track sections; thinking it would help identify the platoon commander but then I manned up and and went with a few open hatches and painted crew. Did I say I hate painting figures? Even simple tank crew figures.
111’s driver’s hatch proved such a bugger to get fixed in place and, indeed, got completely lost on the floor in one session, that I elected not to bother with any more of them. Although I’m typing this up fully months and months later, I can remember finding that hatch a couple of days later before the Dyson ate it felt like a great victory against the sprue gods.
Meh. I lost my notes. The likelihood is the yellow was a PSC Tank Warspray Mid-Late War German Dunkelgelb and I suspect the red-brown is Lifecolor. If I could get to my paints, I’d put the reference number.
Tracks and uniforms are almost certainly also from Lifecolor; Panzergrau and Anthrazitgrau are my go-tos here. As is the AK Interactive wash, applied, gently, over the acrylic and before any overall varnish. It gives a nice grainy finish this way.
I’ve still much to learn with the pigments on the running gear; as ever, it all looked deluxe before I fixed it… then it went too deep. That said, the effect doesn’t offend mine eye. Too much.
Things I wished I done now I look at these images and tut? Well, in pursuit of a unique look I distinctly recall thinking I should carve off more than one of the front-mounted spades because precisely none of the 1:1 photos I found showed such. And, clearly, I didn’t. I also wanted to shave off a towing cable or two but I’d still be prepping them for an undercoat if I’d tried that madness.
Speaking of carving things up, I should have done a better job of hacking off one of the mudguards on the side of no.112 – I left a raised bit of plastic that I now realise shouldn’t be there. I’m also unsure whether any camo should really be visible at that spot, too. And I should have taken off a few more sections on the others, really. Front ‘guards, too. Love the lived-in look, I do.
Ach! Now things are really beginning to shout at me. I’m talking about getting the leviathans to sink into their bases instead of floating ‘on’ them. I’m talking about using a pencil on the edges of ‘all’ the hatches instead of just a couple. I’m talking about opening up the muzzle brakes. I’m talking about….